Mock Up Process
It is common practice to make a mock up of the piece that is to be made. The model can be made out of anything, providing it gives a good indication of how the finished article will look. I tend to use card, heavy paper or cardboard for large areas; pipe cleaners and gardening wire are fantastic for getting the basic shape. Models can then be turned into 'real' models or miniatures of the piece, using the same materials that the full size version is going to made of. This may add a fair bit of time to the process but it can save frustration in the long run and can save money, especially if the material is expensive. The following pictures are a few examples of Mock Ups that I have used to create finished items.
The photos above are of the initial thoughts and ideas for a nameplate intended for fixing onto a stable door or wall. The brief was for it to be forged with the horse's name Jessica to be an integral part of the design, had to be weather protected and had to be horse safe. The above process conveys the transition of a the name plate, from the initial drawing and scribbled ideas to a 'final' cardboard model. I will include photos of the finished art once they have been taken in situ.
The Falcon was created in cardboard, wire and selotape to get the initial shape. To further enhance the overall appearance and mimic polished stainless steel, a single layer of aluminium foil was added. The mock up only took 35 minutes to achieve. The overall cost was £1.20 for selotape and foil, everything else came out of the bin.
The Wolf in cardboard is a mock up of an idea I had for a a back lit sign or wall art. Constructed from a piece of tri-wall corrugated cardboard box. A shape was drawn onto one of the faces, the shape was cut out using a very sharp craft knife and the surface layer was peeled away to reveal the corrugations below. Very time consuming but extremely effective. This gave me the effect I wanted without the flimsyness of a single sheet of card. If you can imagine coloured glass in place of the corrugation, imagine the front layer painted matte black and imagine low intensity LED lighting behind the glass. In a dark room this would give an impressive sight. The same effect could be achieved using the outline of favourite photo or picture. When the prototype in metal is complete I will add the updated photos.
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go with what the flow. This garden obelisk was a spur of the moment project. The brief was, 'something to grow my Sweet Peas up, it has got be roughly as high as me (the customer), square at the bottom and not pointy at the top, I'll paint it myself. Oh! and I really need it for today'. So I made something unpainted, 'not pointy at the top' and was 'square at the bottom'. It has now got Sweet Peas all over it. Because of the time factor, only some of the material was repurposed. I have learned from this project ways on how to/how not to do things.